Subject: [Leica] How to clean lenses
From: "Mikiro Mori" <arbos3@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:51:53 PST

Salut, LUGgers.  I've been away from this list for >6 months.  There's
recently been some discussion on how to clean lenses.  I usually clean
lenses with fine sable brushes for water painting.  First I swab a lens
with a brush soaked with distilled water containing detergent (one drop
in a cup of water) taking care not to let the water/detergent into the
lens edge.  Then I rinse the lense with the brush soaked in clean
distilled water several times.  Finally I absorb the remnant water on
the lens with the brush well squeezed with a sheet of Kleenex. I do this
this under binocular loupe 6x-10x (how lucky there is one from Leica in
our lab). I think this procedure works very well @particularly in
removing lipids (e.g., finger prints) without making any slight
scratches on the lens surface and would be superior to cleaning with
organic solvents and lens-cleaning paper. Or am I damaging my Leica
lenses?  I appreciate comments from experts. Sorry for bad English.

Mikiro
Strasbourg, France