Subject: Re: [Leica] mini LUG site?
From: Francesco <fls@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:44:03 -0800

When it comes to size, I would prefer not to see small stuff.
To appreciate a nice image online, it really has to be at least
400x600.  What I usually do with my own work is as follows.
For a horizontal image, I set the width to 1024 and let the height fall
into place (depending upon how the image is cropped), making
sure the image is proportioned such that the height is no more
than 768.  For a vertical image, I set the height to 768 and let the width
fall into place (again depends upon cropping).  In this case, unless you
have cropped to a square, your width is always between 450 and 600.
In the case of the horizontal image, I find a pleasing height to be
between 650 and 768.
Of course, this entire discussion revolves around a screen resolution of
1024x768 or larger, so for your smaller screen dimensions (such as
800x600 or 640x480), substitute your dimensions for 1024 and 768
above.
I find a well-scanned, full of color, not too compressed, high quality
JPG, using my proportions, should be between 100KB (very low end)
and 300KB (very high end) for web use.
I know my numbers may seem high for some of you, but I believe that
the majority of interested viewers who will take the time to seek out
high quality images on the Internet have the bandwidth and download
capability to handle these file sizes.  At the very least, a 56K modem.

Francesco