Subject: [Leica] <sigh> Leica and Everest, Yet Again!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:26:29 -0500

At 04:52 PM 1998-11-23 -0000, Jem Kime, in puzzlement, wrote:
>Yesterday I read some old 'Leica News and Technique' magazines, issued by
>Leica UK prewar.
>Issue #9 (Sept. 1935) mentioned that Mr L.R.Wager, a famous explorer who was
>going off on an East Greenland expedition with a Leica, had previously taken
>"a Leica on Mt Everest in 1931 and brought home some excellent photos from
>the highest point reached."

If Wager were on Everest in '31, it would be grand news to us all!  But he
WAS there in '33, with his cohort-in-crime, Sir Percy Wyn Harris, for the
discovery of the Mallory or Irvine ice axe, which those of you in England
may see at the Alpine Club, above the mantle of the fireplace.

If Wager took a Leica up with him, I would LOVE to see his pictures.  These
are unknown to the historians of Everest lore.  (We just uncovered
Beetham's shots from '24 six months or so back, no great news, but
interesting and helpful.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!