Subject: Re: [Leica] Never clean a lens (poor lens!)
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:32:41 -0800

Robert wrote:

>Jim and Ted,
>
>Pardon me for answering someone's question, next time remind me to run it
>first by you guys to see if its OK or not.  As I said, I didn't expect most
>of you to agree.>>>>>>>>>

Robert mon ami,

Not sure what your talking about, but that's OK, as please you don't have
to run anything by me first any time. I'm quite an agreeable sort, unless
you try messing with my Leicas or woman! :) And in that order! :)

>My personal experiences simply differ from yours. As for it being " bad
>information" you may say all you want about the hardness of a lens MC, but
>as I pointed out, it only takes some cheap lens cleaning tissue to scratch
>it.

Sorry buddy, not in this day and age of Leica hard coated lenses. I can
only make reference to what I've seen "real time" watching Leica technical
people (Ernst Hartmann for one) and others do to the surface of Leica glass
when illustrating how to clean the surface.

As I posted earlier, many of you LUG folks would go into cardiac arrest
right there watching them in action.....particularly when they illustrate
just what the surface can take before anything is going to mar it.

>And as far as your Leica lenses performing  better now than they did 22
>years ago, I imagine that you know that the cause is most likely due to
advances in film emulsions, etc.>>>>>>

Don't think "I SAID THAT!"  I'd just like to keep the record clear here,
thanks.

>Why don't you two check Shutterbug, to see how many lenses are listed with
>cleaning marks and scratches, you won't find better proof.  End of
>discussion.>>>>>>>>

Nope not the end of the discussion! Simply because you are making a very
wild assertion that the Shutterbug lenses are just off the assmbly line the
other day, when frankly they probably are "oldies of yester year!"

And if they are not oldies and have scratches, it's because some dumb SOB
used steel wool or some other sanding type cloth or paper.  Shirt tales and
undershorts will never scatch a lens unless you have a ass full of sand! :)

>Have a nice day,>>>>>>>

And Robert, you to have a nice day! :)

ted