Subject: [Leica] performance analysis (was MTF)
From: imxputs <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 98 10:41:39 +0100

Alan wrote
        >it does seem weird to me that people would start up today, on a
competitive
        >market, in serious testing (renting or purchasing of benchmarking
hardware,
        >human resources needed to intervene at the various stages of the
workflow,
        >logistics to be managed, etc) if they should not do it in a way that
might help >them gain readers and
        marketshare...

        Well the most elaborate testing equipment lab is the owe used by
PopPhoto. Still most Luggers would not
        even care to consider the results and Eric wrote recently that the
PopPhoto results are questionable. Testing
        in my opinion has absolutely nothing to do with gaining readers and/or
marketshare. Testing should be done
        to reveal the strong and weak points of a product. Reporting on these
characteristics has to done in such a
        way that prospective users can form an inteligent opinion about this
product and know how it will perform
        when used in their personal work and environment. That is why I refuse
to use simple numbers or
        starratings and/or easy to remember stickers like 'super' or 'awesome'
or 'bad'.
        One of the reasons of the continious debate about relative performance
is just this: if a mgazine gives two
        lenses both 4 stars or both an A-, what in heavens sake do we know
then. That is will be good performers
        relative to what is available on the market. But does it tell you
which of both lenses is good for you. That is
        also why I always refer to companion lenses or predecessors to give
some reference. A case in hand is the
        repeated question whch lens is better: Summilux-R 1,4/80 or Summilux-M
1,4/75 or Elmarit 2.8/90. They
        all get 4 or 5 stars. Still no one knows how to evaluate this. My
reports clearly state in normal photographic
        parlance what to expect from a lens and how it compares in detail with
companion lenses. I could easliy
        say: get the MTF graph and look for yourself. That will not work.

        NBWatson referred to MTF testing as a kind of dynanometer that
impresses car buyers in a non relevant
        way. Well as far as I know a dynanometer tests the kilowatt power of
an engine, which in todays traffic is
        indeed not very relevant. If you were tuning an engine for maximum
performance it is indispensable. An
        MTF graph for a designer is not the only tool. They use many other
tools to evaluate a lens (spot diagrams
        for instance). The MTF graph is just a convenient shorthand
description of a lens performance IF measured
        and interpreted competently. To denigrate MTF graphs as non-relevant
for photographers is a statement I
        cannot support. It is the most important information you can get about
a lens.
        AND it correlates very well with photographically relevant quality
criteria. It is well known that you can
        prove everything with statistics and that statistics can lie. So it is
with an MTF: it can prove hatever you
        wish and it also can lie about the real performance. I try to be as
honest as I can and not to lie and yes I
        study MTF graphs in order to give them a meaningfull interpretation
for readers of my reports. Without the
        bravery of Zeiss (yes Marc, you are right about Zeiss, they invented
the SLR, they improved on the Leica
        III and they invented lens analysis as is stands now)we were much more
ignorant about the real image
        quality of lenses. But is the credit of Leica to advance the state of
the art two steps ahead, thanks to
        rigorous MTF checking. And I assume Mr Watson can appreciate that too.

        Erwin