Subject: [Leica] Re: uninspired Leica ads
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:36:07 -700

On 24 Nov 98, cb wrote, at least in part:

> as far as I have witnessed it many people buy Leica to impress others. I
> have seen enough Leica-'wearers' to understand that for many it is an
> attitude. The usual wearer is male, ...

<snip>

Though your stereotype of the Leica owner may be largely true
both in Europe and even here in the U.S. and Canada, it is by no
means true across the board.

You can lament the situation, but I hope you wouldn't choose (if
you had the power) to prevent your stereotype from enjoying the
fruits of his labor. It's the American dream, Christian, and I judge,
looking at the illegal alien situation in the U.S., that of many
economically stressed people from other countries also. Why not?
Work hard, hopefully prosper, raise that family, educate them and
THEN, get your Leicas.

At the same time, give witness to the joys of photography and
attempt to inspire the youngsters coming along to participate in
it. At that point, we can only hope that those same youngsters
will gravitate toward the best of the breed at that time. Further,
we can only hope that the best of the breed is still Leica.

Believe me, more folk are attempting to impress with top of the
line Canons and Nikons around their neck, than Leica.

Zum beispiel! Market analysis does not always connote the truth
of the situation. Businesses often do flawed analyses or
incorrectly assess a well done analysis, thereby fail in a given
market. Perhaps Leica has erred in this case.
- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     He, who will not reason, is a bigot;
     he, who cannot, is a fool;
     and he, who dares not, is a slave.
          -- William Drumond, Scottish writer (1585-1649)