Subject: [Leica] Re: Never clean a lens (poor lens!)
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:57:26 EST

This is eversomuch more true of Leica lenses. ( Nikon and Canon RF lenses
nearly all survive to this day without a scratch, unless abused.  They
also do not seem to suffer from the internal fogging as Leicas do.)
Almost impossible to find a Summitar, Summarit or 1st generation
Summicron with the front coating intact unless it's never been cleaned.
The later, coated LTM 4/90 Elmars likewise.  Most of the 50 Elmars, and
nearly all the 35's are found scratch-free or with one or two
insignificant marks.
 I started keeping UV filters permanently on my old Leica lenses.  It's
not just the expense of replacing a front element that scared me, it is
the dim prospect of *finding* one.  In the case of Leica lenses, most of
the older ones were assembled and adjusted one-by-one, so transplanting a
new element is not guarnateed to replicate the lens' original
performance.

Regards,
Nigel

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:10:50 -0800 Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
writes:

>All of those lenses with cleaning marks are *old* lenses, made before
>"hard" coatings were invented.
>When you see "cleaning marks", think "old" lenses

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]