Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:35:10 -0600

>I'd like to point out that a lot of folks on the LUG  might be a bit weary
>of this *just an amateur* syndrome.  By Walt's criteria, the guy shooting
>tourists on a cruise ship with a battered old Nikkormat is a Professional
>but I'm just an amateur.

I know a lot of pros who are HACKS when it comes to talent in photography.
I've seen people who work for national magazines who couldn't hold a candle
to Charlie Riedel who works for a small paper in the middle of Kansas. You
should see the tornado picture he took this year! In fact, the outflow of
amazing images from this man makes me wonder why he hasn't moved to the
bigger papers. But then I realize, they don't run pictures like that in the
big papers. They usually shoot rather dull stuff in comparison way too
often. Though there are some big papers that don't.

It's not how much money you make, but the kinds of pictures you produce.
(There, quote me on that, detractor who misquoted me last week!)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 A modernfleet of ships does not so much make use of the sea as expoit a
highway. - Joseph Conrad