Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:25:19 -0600

Thursday, Thursday, November 26, 1998, budcook@ibm.net wrote:

> I'd like to point out that a lot of folks on the LUG  might be a bit weary
> of this *just an amateur* syndrome.  By Walt's criteria, the guy shooting
> tourists on a cruise ship with a battered old Nikkormat is a Professional
> but I'm just an amateur.

Bud,

Not  to  put  words  into Walt's mouth, I think he is fully capable of
speaking for himself, but I think you misread his post.

He  was  saying,  I  think,  that those of us who use our cameras on a
daily  basis  to  put food on the table, pay the rent, ect look at our
cameras  as  tools. I for one don't care if the strap rubs the camera,
if  they  bang  into each other while running down the street to cover
something,  or to get away from something (run away?? something I have
very seldom done as I am rather stupid and foolhardy).

My  cameras  are  tools. I do not carry them in a bag, they are on the
car seat in easy reach with lens mounted, loaded and ready to shoot if
needed. A camera kept in the bag is about as useful as tits on a bull.

DO  I  take  good care of my gear, you bet you butt I do.  After all I
paid   thousands   of   dollars for it, but do I coddle it, NO.  I buy
the gear I do because it has the reputation for performing.  It better
be  able  to handle being used and used hard.

I  agree  with  Walt  re  filters.  I  use them because in the heat of
shooting I very seldom put the caps on the lenses, never use the front
cap  at  all.  I  simply don't have the time to waste taking off front
cap,  rear cap mounting the lens, replacing the caps placing it gently
back  into  the  bag.  NO  I  take  the lens off, using feel only, not
looking,  select  the  lens I want mount it, drop the other lens in an
empty  slot  in the bag and fire away. A matter of seconds, not the 30
seconds to replace caps and such.

Now if I am shooting for pleasure, or working on something where speed
is not important to getting the shot I do take time to replace caps and
such. And yes when shooting where the filter will be a problem I remove
it, time permitting.

All  this  boils  down to how YOU feel comfortable using YOUR equipment
and  it really does not matter what Jim, Ted, Eric, Walt, I, or anyone
else  says.   Do  what  you think  is  best  and  worry about something
important,  like  will  the  M7  have a vertical shutter or will it be
digital.  ;)

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.