Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: A vanishing act
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:24:00 -0600

>Since most newspaper photographers have equipment supplied, they are a
>poor source for checking equipment preferences.  But we can be pretty
>sure that if a PJ is carrying a Leica, he/she probably bought it, not
>the pub.

Yes, on the Leica question. But not always. Some of the biggest papers have
Leica pool equipment. But the problem with this reasoning is that most PJs
buy their own equipment. Maybe the top 15 percent don't but the rest of us
do. Of course with the advent of digital, that's going to change. They
aren't going to pay us enough to afford those on our own. So yes, I think
that is a consideration. Even if the paper buys the cameras for the PJ,
they're going to go with Nikon and Canon because newspapers are some of the
penny pinchingest businesses to count a bean. How else do they manage 30+
percent profit margins? (And for the whiz-bang features and AF.)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 A modernfleet of ships does not so much make use of the sea as expoit a
highway. - Joseph Conrad