Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's Development & Management
From: AJSymi@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:29:51 EST

Tom Shea wrote:

<< Leica seems to have had little focus and directions over the past decade.
 This does not mean that they have not done some nice work - the new M lenses
 are wonderful.  However, it takes more than pieces to make a company
 successful.  They need a focus and direction.  Maybe the new Chairman will
 give them that.  However, it will take a couple years to see any real results
 from his leadership. >>
Tom,

On the surface I might have agreed with your statement, however, after seeing
Leica's new "The Program" catalog, I must say that the company has a pretty
great line of products, and, IMO, little competition with their individual
products.  I would agree that management has been slow when it comes to making
new products available (the R8 motor debacle, classic example).  But the
development of the M system has really been spectacular over the last 3-4
years (at least 6 or 7 new lenses!).  Ultimately, despite our constant
comparisons, Leica products do not compete with Canon, Nikon, Minolta, etc.;
only some competition from Contax--and its not bad to just have one competitor
in your field!!

M2C
Cheers,
Arturo