Subject: Re: [Leica] Tungsten film?- in re filter correction.
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 21:03:29 -0500

Eric-
I have to disagree with you. I grant you that some correction can be made in
printing and scanning, but I found that using a filter, even one that
doesn't fully correct, is better than none. The basic problem is that the
blue sensitive layer gets very little exposure- the density just is not
there. You cannot replace what is not there with filtration, any more than
you can an underexposed B&W image.
The solution? Overexpose to at least get the blue sensitive layer exposed-
but then you might as well use a filter in the taking which minimizes filter
changes when printing. You'll get far superior results filtering in this
case.
Also- recent examination of Seattle film showed some cartridges made in
Germany- I would assume by Agfa, Perutz or Orwo; I did a roll in C-41 just
to see, after checking for the anti-static layer- which in this case was
absent. It printed on the Agfa channel, and had the golden mask color
similar to Agfa's film. The results were indistinguishable from the Agfa HDC
film. They may have changed film as they no longer push the slides and
prints from the same film theme of yore, but now seem to push photo
diskettes.
Dan
Dan
dwpost@msn.com