Subject: [Leica] Re: Proposing a voluntary posting limit
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 15:17:10 -0800

Proposing a voluntary posting limit.

This topic alone will generate dozens of messages. It is totally
impossible, and illogical, to limit how many messages someone posts to an
e-mail list. This is why there is a list. To post messages. To discuss
topics. Even if the topic is totally ludicrous, such as proposing a
voluntary posting limit. When someone has something they want to say, or
the answer to someone else's question, are they going to say "oops... can't
post any more today... I've reached my limit" and then turn off the
computer and wait until tomorrow? Wonders never cease! Who was it who had
such a ridiculous thought? I'm really amazed at the stuff that comes over
the net. People should stop and think about what they are saying before
pushing "send".

The list volume is somewhat proportional to the number of list subscribers.
10 subscribers, very few messages. 800 subscribers, lots and lots of messages.

E-mail programs have very elegant filters. Filter off the stuff you
dislike. Keyboards have a delete key and a way of selecting a range of
messages. Use it frequently.

But to think that the humans that belong to this list, or any other list,
will count their messages and stop at a quota, is totally and utterly a
waste of thought.

Cant happen.

Won't happen.

Mr. J