Subject: [Leica] Pinhole delimma
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 10:05:07 -0800

I only have one question... Why?

Pinhole photographs all look the same... Crappy!

You never have to tell anyone that it's a pinhole photograph. It just has
that look... Crappy.

When I was 12, I made a pinhole camera for a Scout merit badge. I used a
Quaker Oats box (round) and 4x5 sheet film. I took pinhole photographs.
They looked crappy. I got the merit badge anyway.

A sales person at KSP (Will) made a pinhole camera out of a Hasselblad
back, a SW body piece, and a drilled body cap. His pinhole photographs look
crappy too.

The Hasselblad pinhole photographs look the same as the Quaker Oat pinhole
photographs. Which, I suspect, look the same as your Leica pinhole
photographs. Crappy.

Having said that, there are people out there who have perfected pinhole
photography. Especially using the Oatmeal box. There are some stunning
examples at:

http://www.pinhole.com/exhibits/oatmeal/index.shtml

and:

http://www.pinhole.com/exhibits/oatmeal/statement.html

Forget the Leica, use an Oatmeal box. Have fun.

Jim