Subject: [Leica] Results of NCAA photos
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 13:28:58 -0400

Hi:

I took pictures at an NCAA game that was played her last night.  I was
fortunate enough to get a media pass and access to the floor.  I shot with
an R7, motor, 60mm Elmarit, 90mm Elamarit, 35mm Summicron, and a Metz
60CT4.  The film was AGfa RSX100 slide film.  I developed it all in a Jobo
CPP2 with Kodak chemistry.

What would I do different the next time?  The flash pictures show too much
light fall off to the background.  If I had shot 400 speed film, I could
have still used the flash and the ambiant light would be bright enough not
to have the dark backgrounds.  The other option would be to rig a slave
flash to fire at the same time and light the background.  If I could not
use flash, I would probably use 800 or higher speed film and stick with
fast prime lenses.  Most of the pictures were shot at F4, but F2 or F2.8
could be used.

For those not familiar with shooting basketball (this was my first time),
you sit on the floor near the net with your legs crossed sort of like a
Yoga position.  If you are not a Yoga practitioner, you get very sore doing
this.  Nothing fancy is needed in camera gear as a normal lens will
suffice.  Autofocus is not a necessity for the shots near the net as the
focusing is very easy with the normal lenses.

The address of the page with these pictures is at:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/ncaa.htm

The Miami team featured Wall Szczerbiak, who is one of the top players in
the NCAA.  He has a habit though of sticking his tongue out as he shoots.

Regards,

Robert Stevens