Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:49:46 -0800

Nigel qrote:

>Not to worry.  If the Contax G2, with its Zeiss-designed lenses and 90's
>technology selling for a much lower price hasn't finished off the Leica
>M, I doubt that Nikon or Canon would risk the R&D on a speculative bid
>for such a minuscule market. >>>>>>>

Nigel,

If one were to let their imagination go wild for a moment:

Nikon thinking Leica appear to be falling on their face (not true) decide,

 "we should get in on this Leica range finder thing, so why don't we
resurrect the Nikon SP in a new and modern day version? Heck we got all the
toolings and what we don't have we'll just make. Then go for the RF crowd
that Leica appear to be loosing ground with from lack of service and
delivery."  "Why we could even create an incredible demand using the
nastalgia thing and the unobtrusiveness of a rangefinder camera."

The SP in it's day was a great camera and I understand still commands a
"more than princely price" if one can find one. So imagine Nikon coming out
with a competely new 1998/99 updated version, lenses included. And while
we're at it, a silent winder!

I wonder if that wouldn't just shake the corporate heads of Leica into mega
action.

Remember folks this is completely imaginary!!!!!!!! What think you all?

ted