Subject: Re: [Leica] auto vs. manual
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:50:36 -0600

>Nikon F5: got 13 sharp pictures out of 13 shots

Well, the test must have been rigged to be favorable to AF. Not just
Nikon's mind you. I have owned and used an F5. The big deal is that it
really is the fastest AF in the world, with the ultrasonic motors. I tried
the AF-S 500 f/4. What an amazing lens! Fast as the devil. But when you put
non AF-S lenses on the F5, it cannot keep up with an EOS1n and it's USM
lenses. It's close, and thus a technical tour-de-force that the F5 could be
that close. But in real life, no AF system gets 13 our of 13 in the field.
But stick a flash on the F5 and D series lenses, and you have the finest
flash system anywhere. (Except the R8 has a built-in flash meter! Try that
with an F5). It's a great camera.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Artist seeks Boss with vision impairment.