Subject: Re: [Leica] Xmas gift
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 08:09:25 -0800

>I finally got THAT Noctilux! The guy who had bought it almost in front
>of me turned it back to the store, because (as foretold by the dealer)
>he changed his mind.

>I'm going to Paris for a weekend just before Xmas, and by then I
>should have it. Any ideas on how to exploit it?

Daniele,

Like they say in football, "go wide!" :)  In other words go to f 1.0 and
shoot pictures that will look like nothing you've ever done before.

You'll have to take care in focusing, as there is little if any depth of
field. Actually that is a bonus once you learn how to exploit it.

Shoot in the twi-light zone of the day or night, you'll be amazed that you
can shoot at all. And with 100 ASA slide film, mauauauauvelous images!!! :)

Paris? I'd be looking at shooting the street nightlight scenes, lit
buildings and people in out door cafes if the weather allows for it.

This is a truly magical lens if you learn how to make it work wide open or
nearly so. However don't be surprised some of the first efforts don't quite
work due to you not being very careful focusing. I say this only as you
begin using the lens, once you have the feel for wide open you will never
want to take it off.

It is one of my main stay lenses as it allows me to work 24 hours a day! :)
And yes there are times the light is so low, your shooting in truly
"available darkness!" :)

Enjoy it and make it work where others fear to shoot!

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant