Subject: Re: [Leica] Why R sales down...
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 08:09:23 -0800

Andrew Nemeth wrote:

>As a reasonably new Leica convert, I personally didn't buy the R8 because
>of the lack of winder built in (2x the bulk of a Nikon F90x and no
>motor?...) and because the separate winder uses very weird batteries
>(Lithium D123As) which deliver only a 15 roll capacity before having to
>load new cells.>>>>>>

Hi Andrew,

Is it possible you had a bad set of batteries or those that don't last very
long under any circumstance?

My R8's have run a very long time, several hundred rolls of film before
changing and I sometimes go through 15 rolls of film in the blink of an
eye, winder or not.

My understanding is the Canon when working with a/f and 400mm lens and
longer goes through batteries like water over Niagra Falls. However, that
could also be an exaggeration by the photographer who changed to the other
auto everything camera due to battery devouring.

>Also, all the R8 exposure/ metering combos were meanlingless to me as I
>always expose via manual and meter hand-held using a Gossen Digital
>Sixtomat/F.>>>>

Unfortunately you missed the accuracy of the R8 metering system, as it is
without question the best "in camera" metering I have ever used. As a
matter of course, due to its accuracy,  I don't bother carrying a hand held
meter any longer and I have the choice of several in the equipment cabinet
and there they lie!

I recently received the rechargable power-pack for the R8 and it works
wonders, although adding a tad more weight to the camera and winder, it
feels no worse than the Nikon or Canon big jobbies.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant