Subject: [Leica] Re: Why R sales down...
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 98 06:07:29 +1100

Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net> replied:

>The first set of batteries I had in my R8's winder
>lasted four months, or about 100-150 rolls of film.

When I looked at buying the R8, I refered to a pdf
document Leica put out on the R8's winder.  It is
still available and can be downloaded from URL:

<http://www.leica-camera.com/r_system/pdf/mwr8_gb.pdf>

On page one of this document it has a photograph of the
winder loaded with 2x non-AA lithium cells.  The text
in the middle column clearly states...

"... winder grip houses two lithium cells (type D123A
or similar) which supply power to the motor of the
winder."

and further down

"... tests have shown that a set of these standard
batteries, which are used in many compact cameras,
is capable of exposing up to 15 films of 36 exposures
at temperatures as low as -20 deg C."

This PDF file was also available in print form:
Order No. 920 455 (English version.)

As I said, this was in July 98 when I was looking at
which Leica to get.  Maybe the R8's winder design
has changed since then?  Maybe it was a miss-print
and they meant 150 rolls?

>Could I suggest that contributors to the LUG list
>not block-quote *whole* letters in a thread?

Alas, "Gerry Walden" <photos@gerrywalden.freeserve.co.uk>
gets the clueless newbie award here for quoting all 90 KB
(@ 2100 lines) of Leica Users digest V4 #95 when only
making a four line contribution.  See Digest #98.

To stop this from happening in future, could I ask the
List Mum (is there one?) to consider blocking any message
contributions longer than (say) 5 KB?  Works on other
lists.

Andrew N.
www.nemeng.com