Subject: [Leica] Re: Xmas gift
From: "Bob Parsons" <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:26:11 -0000

dcoliva@jura.dsnet.it (Daniele Coliva) wrote:

>I finally got THAT Noctilux!  ..... cut .......
>I'm going to Paris for a weekend just before Xmas, and by then I
>should have it. Any ideas on how to exploit it?

Daniele, perhaps not quite the answer you were expecting <grin>

Yes,   the new Ilford Delta P3200 black & white film and Microphen
developer.

A good start to the developing times are printed on the inside
of the box. I normally expose street night scenes at an EI of 1600
but  this will vary depending on your metering technique and subject
contrast. Do try out a few rolls to gain experience before you go.

This film seems to have an amazing ability to maintain shadow
and highlight detail and complements the characteristics of the
Noctilux very well. Don't worry about shooting scenes with bright
light sources in the picture such as car headlamps or street lights,
the lens is remarkably flare free provided you DON'T use a filter.
Use the lens at or near full aperture to get a fast shake free shutter
speed and to separate the subject from the background.
The opening in the lens diaphragm is almost circular at large
apertures and this gives a pleasant smooth appearance to the
edge of out of focus highlights.

The lens is really nice if you go out after it's been raining and
the street lamps, people and their shadows are reflected in
the wet pavements. People really don't believe you are
photographing under such low light conditions and tend to
ignore you or tell you your flash hasn't worked!

One thing to remember is that you are using the lens on a
camera with a very quite shutter, and can photograph in
circumstances where anything else would be an intrusion.

The biggest problem I have with using the lens is the very wide
range of subject contrasts that can be recorded on the same roll
of film. From the dimly lit smokey cafe to brightly lit funfair stalls.
At the moment I tend to expose and develop for one type of scene
and waste the remaining shots on the roll. I haven't tried it yet but
I'm interested to see how Delta P3200 responds to two bath
development.

The Noctilux can be a particularly intrusive lens... so I always try to
remember:  "With a Noctilux all human life is there for the taking
but with compassion and respect."

The best of light !     Bob Parsons.  <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>