Subject: [Leica] Best photography books
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:04:56 +0000

Hithere

Best new book I've bought this year is 'Young Meteors. British
Photojournalism: 1957-1965' (Jonathan Cape) (I didn't get to see the show in
Bradford). Wonderful essay by Martin Harrison that contextualised many
influences I've grown up with, and entertaining too, lots of great
photographs many of which have dated a lot better than their subject matter.

Other acquisitions in 1998:

Irving Penn: A Career in Photography (The Art Institute of Chicago). Good to
see contacts, get a bit of background, and I didn't have any of his books,
so a great journey through his work. I saw the show of his work at the V&A
about 10 years ago, and also his phenomenal series 'London Street Trades'
from the 1950's at Hamiltons, this book brought it all back. Haven't read it
all yet, a treat awaits for Midwinter.

The J.Paul Getty Museum Handbook of the Photographs Collection. A 'greatest
hits' but an interesting reference as to what is considered historical and
valuable by the 'establishment'.

Biggest treasure of the year - Mirrors Messages Manifestations by Minor
White. I've wanted this book for years and I'm not disappointed. Minor White
is probably my biggest single influence in photography.

I think that some books should be owned - at times you need the inspiration,
distraction, motivation or admiration that they can elicit, but then I would
say that, I've got a weakness for them!

Alex