Subject: [Leica] M6 Neophyte - the next lens.
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 23:10:36 +0000

>Date: Tue, 08 Dec 98 02:45:10 GMT
>From: sandyquandt@centuryinter.net
>Subject: [Leica] M6 Neophyte-Focus...Success!
>
>Thanks for all of the input and advice! I have just retrieved my first set of
>prints (some of which were accomplished while performing the "Leica-sway"
:-))

>Sandy (who has now narrowed the next-lens choice down to the 75/1.4 or the 50
>Noctilux....)

The "Leica sway" can continue in a dark, red, solitary place (whilst
listening to music and daydreaming)
You should consider your next lens to be an enlarger lens, and make your
prints rather than "retrieving" them.

Printing is simple to learn, it's easy to find most of the bits cheap
secondhand. On the other hand, it takes a lifetime to master it, just like
the camera.

Many would disagree, but for me printing my own work is essential, I
wouldn't consider myself a photographer without doing it (although I don't
do colour myself - most of my commercial work and nearly none of my
uncommissioned work is colour). As Don McCullen said "Why do I print my own
work? - Would you trust someone else to express your emotions?" (that's not
verbatum, but close).

I'm also a newcomer to the Leica rangefinder (11 months), and now I am
reluctant to print Pentax negatives unless there's a good reason to, I just
love the tonal rendition of my fancy new lenses, and try to use them
whenever possible.

The above probably only applies if you are interested in black and white
photography. I have done colour printing, but found it unexpressive and too
much to do with correctness.

Nothing wrong with what you're doing, all the best with it, but there's so
much more.
Maybe it's too late to stop already!

Best wishes

Alex