Subject: Re: [Leica] old job back
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:48:42 -0800

Eric wrote:
>Wish me luck. Another photojournalist committed to the Leica way is
>hitting the streets.>>>>>>

Well Eric me old son, no point working at something that doesn't give
fulfillment of life and passion. Better to get out before the "security of
position has it's talons securely anchored into your backside that you'd
never leave.

I had a fabulous position, great salary, a private secretary and a language
teacher at one time for 13 months, completely off the wall nice job.
However, every day I looked out the window and asked why myself why I was
there. What satisfaction was there in dictating a dozen letter a day,
attending boring meetings, (man that's when you really find out how many
stupid executives there are)! I started and finished at the same time, ate
lunch at the same time, had weekends off, my own executive parking spot.

Basically wanted for nothing in the way of comfort of office nor staff. And
it was so boring and dull no matter what I tried to liven it up, there were
always "rules" that said you can't do that, not policy! So everyday it was
lusting for the uncertainties of the outside world not knowing where the
next assignment or pay cheque was.

My real world was outside that window! Finally I realized I just had to
return to what I did best , being a photographer and enjoying it no matter
how hard it was at times and how many times it was economically
frustrating.

Even knowing I would have to once again, shoot for "visually challenged
editors" I had to get those Leicas around my neck and on the shoulders and
like they say, "Go forth into the wilderness looking for lifes exciting
moments to capture on film."

Hey and I've had a hell of a great photographer's life since I returned to
the real world over 25 years ago. Man there's no life like it! :)

You'll do just fine, as first of all, you're a damn fine photographer with
talent to spare and any newspaper looking for someone to fill a position
wont think twice about taking you on.

Actually you may find yourself doing your own thing and this will get you
started into your own business.

Best of luck there are lots of folks rooting for you. :)

ted