Subject: Re: [Leica] Art Wolfe's book
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 00:57:20 -0600

>I say that an artist's job is the same as a journalist's: to tell
>the truth as best he or she can. I can no longer look at Wolfe's
>work without wondering, and for me that means that I can no longer
>look at his work with wonder.

I'm not sure that artist is necessarily supposed to tell the truth the same
way a journalist does. They can tell the truth through fiction,
exaggeration, as in a story-teller who tells stories they make up to be
"lessons." Journalists on the other hand are bound to tell the truth,
literally. Not that they do all the time, mind you.

But a Nature Photographer should be bound by the same rules as journalists
when their work is documentary in nature. I'm not sure Wolfe is going at it
in a legitimate way. I certainly have no use for a book supposedly about
the patters in nature that are cleaned up to be perfect. Whatever happened
to the tradition that the Navajos had that imperfection was necessary in
their work? Now that's an idea I can buy.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Booth Luce