Subject: Re: [Leica] sneak thief photographers!
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:18:42 -0500

     Ted,

     There is something inconsistent in what you've written.  You say that
     when photographers take people pictures, "being a 'gentleman of honour
     with a camera'...[means having] the guts to stand and be counted when
     they take their pictures," and you argue against taking photographs
     "in a sneaky fashion towards unsuspecting subjects," which you assert
     is "not being a photographer...[but] an out and out image thief by
     gutless wonders!"  Yet, on the other hand, you write that "there are
     all kinds of ways to 'making oneself invisble' and still capturing
     satisfying photographs of human nature at play or work," and in later
     posts, you (and others) have described some of those methods.  I can
     see that there is a difference between what you advocate and what you
     argue against (e.g., the camera is at your eye rather than hanging on
     your chest with a wide angle lens); but I cannot see how methods of
     "making oneself invisible"---which in one of your examples extends to
     telling people, "I wasn't taking your picture," after you've "been
     standing there shooting them"---are any the less taking pictures "in a
     sneaky fashion towards unsuspecting subjects" or any the less being
     "an...image thief."

     In addition, for a photographer to "stand and be counted" implies that
     the subject is aware that he or she is being photographed, and someone
     who is aware of being photographed may be a very different subject
     indeed from one who is not. :)

     Art Peterson
     Alexandria, VA