Subject: Re: [Leica] Come on guys-lets talk photography
From: Jim Hurtubise <jim@inap.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:40:36 +0000

Gary,
I wasn't complaining, rather I feel I was defending the right to open discussion on this
list. I would never even think of asking you or anyone else here to take their discussion
to private e- mail. So as you said lets talk photography now. You say that politics is
not relevant to photography. I think the term political was being used in a very broad
sense in previous posts but O.K. lets substitute philosophy instead. You must have some
kind of philosophical outlook on life. Does that not effect what you photograph and how
you photograph? Is it a emotional need to express yourself, a particular social concern,
a desire to document your children for the family album or simply pleasure. All are valid
reasons to photograph. Here is why I photograph. All of the above. I've had the need to
express myself since early childhood. Building, drawing, painting, music and photography.
Mostly these days its designing buildings and photography. Social concern: the homeless,
families, community, our deteriorating cities and hence the loss of our history, the
endless spread of faceless suburbs. Documentation: every generation has a distinct
identity. I try to capture what I feel is the essence of this era. Pleasure: I love my
M6. I even took a picture of President Clinton campaigning once, isn't that political?:-)
So what motivates you and what do you photograph? I really would like to hear.

Regards,
Jim Hurtubise

Gary Whalen wrote o tues:
If the arguments of Oddmund and Mr. Hurtubise are followed then by any rational
argument "all" topics related or remotely related to photography can be discussed
within this group.  Therefore a topic such as pornography is open for discussion as
these are definitely photographic in nature.  I think not.  I also don't think that
because a topic does not have a personal interest to me that it should not be
discussed in this group.  There are many topics I care nothing about that are
discussed in this group but they are topics that do directly relate to photography:
ie,  b&W developing,  Leica collectibles,  old lenses and bodies, and projectors.
These are topics that have no interest to me but certainly belong in this group.
    The word censorhip and its association with my post is ridiculous and childish.
I certainly did not or do not suggest censorship.  However, I also don't believe that
your personal politics is relevant to this photography site anymore than the record
of the Canandiens, the mayor of Oslo or the population of Amsterdam.  These topics
may be interesting to some or they may not but there is a forum for their discussion
and it is not this one.
    One final argument.  The very fact that you are trying to imply that I am being
selfish "individuals feel the whole world revolves around me" could certainly and
logically be turned back into your face and is implied in your own post.
    I personally don't care about your politics.  That is not a personal attack on
either of you but is simply a fact.  You are correct in stating that I don't have to
read your posts.  That is also a fact.  However,  I also have the right to post a
statement questioning your use of this site for your political views.  Your argument
with that says volumes about your own complaining.  I guess I can't complain but you
can.  I guess I can't state an opinion but you can.
    Anyone want to talk about photography?  I'm ready.