Subject: re: [Leica] P&S choices
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:54:25 -0600

I want to get a *ZOOM* P&S camera for the times when I don't feel a need for
the M6. Any suggestions between the following: Leica, Contax, Nikon and
Rollei?
<<<<<<<<<<

I'm waiting to see the new Photokina-announced Rollei Prego 70. Reports say
it has a 35-70 lens marginally slower than the Minilux Zoom (3.9-7.1 vs.
3.5-6.5) but faster than Leica's Z2X; +/- 2  stop exposure compensation; a
metal body; is pocketable; and will retail for under $200 (USD). In short,
all the features which appeal to me on the Minilux Zoom at less than 1/4
the price. Though how the lenses will compare remains to be seen.

I've used the Contax TVS. Very fine camera, but a 35-70 zoom fits my needs
better than a 28-56.

And I'll second the recommendation of the Olympus Stylus Epic for a
non-zoom P&S. The f/2.8 lens is surprisingly sharp in the center (less so
at the edges), and its spot mode offers a nice amount of control over what
you meter and focus on. And it costs little.

Larry