Subject: Re: [Leica] digital image manipulation
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:27:32 -0600

I work at an ad agency, where we manipulate photos for advertising purposes
every day.

A friend of mine had an opportunity a few years ago to tour Rolling Stone
magazine where, he says, they have a Sun computer system they use for photo
manipulation with enough power and capabilities to put a Macintosh and
Photoshop to shame.

While he was there, the Sun operator, a woman, was working on an image of
movie star Brad Pitt for an upcoming cover. The art director was looking
over her shoulder instucting her on what to do.

"Remove that mole," the art director said. In a second, she did.

"Now whiten his teeth and his eyes." She did.

"Rotate his head a little to the left." In a moment, she had that done.

"Now open his shirt by a couple more buttons," the art director told her.
"Pull the shirt open. Put a little hair there on his chest."

After doing all that in, the operator turned to my friend and asked, "Now
do you want to watch while I remove his pants?"

Larry

Just to clarify what happened here. The photo editor said to the Scitex (10
years ago the ultimate digital imaging machine) operator "get rid of it."
Referring, of course, to the diet Coke can.

He meant "Crop it out."

But the Scitex operator heard "Do your magic."

It wasn't noticed until too late. The Post Dispatch has taken a lot of
lumps over that one, and it was an innocent mistake. The Scitex operator
wasn't a journalist. Now he knows.