Subject: [Leica] Wolfe, Butt heads, Adams, subject line
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 14:54:54 -0800

Reading about Art Wolfe and talking to him are two completely different
things. A number of years ago (10?) Art was written up in several photo
magazines as being difficult to deal with, hard nosed, basically a butt
head. This was and is untrue. Anyone can write anything they please. It
does not have to be the complete truth. It can be phrased to project an
untrue image. But spend some personal time with someone, go out
photographing with them, and you can see the real person. I can vouch for
Art Wolfe's integrity.

It is quite obvious that many (perhaps most) of Ansel Adams negatives
(after he developed zone exposure and development for himself) would print
just fine without manipulation. Maybe my words "not a pretty sight" were a
little strong. But even though the print would be good, it also would be a
far cry from how Ansel printed them for "display". The prints that we all
know and love. Moonrise Over Hernandez is a prime example of turning a
sow's ear into a silk purse. In the darkroom.

The LUG volume seems to be getting heavy again. All you folks that leave
subject lines (especially those who leave the *digest* header as the
subject) are getting DELeted by many of us. There's not enough time to look
at the content of each message.

But I know this is being ignored.

Jim