Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: sneak thief photographers! (long)
From: Jim Hurtubise <jim@inap.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 17:01:05 +0000

I was in Detroit about a year ago, I often like to photograph there in the old
historic downtown district. Fantastic architecture but now largely deserted. A
sad state for what was once a vibrant city. On this day, I was walking around
with my camera in my hand looking for photographs when I was approached by a
street person. I photograph in cities often so I am familiar with the routine.
They see a camera, assume you are a tourist, and ask you for spare change. But
this turned out to be very different. He apparently had been arguing with some
other person and by the time he got to me was balling his eyes out. I wasn't
quite sure if this was an act in order to soften me up or if he was sincerely a
troubled person, so I decided to play along for a while and see what happens.
With my camera already in my hand I was able to take some photographs from chest
height without his knowledge while he was explaining to me what he was upset
about. Now Ted, I already know your opinion on this so before you question
whether I have all my anatomy in the right place please just read on a bit more.
At this point I still was not sure what was going on and I didn't want to scare
him off (or worse) by raising the camera, he was also in no state to answer any
questions. After a couple of moments though, he pulled out a handkerchief and
began to compose himself. It was at this point that he noticed my camera and he
asked me if I wanted to take his picture. I've also been through this routine
before, you know, where they ask you to take their picture and then ask for five
dollars. I told him that I would like to take his picture but I would not pay him
for this. He insisted that he just wanted a photo of himself to hang on the wall
so I agreed to do it. We found a suitable background close by where I began to
photograph. I had no sooner snapped a couple shots when he dropped his pants
right there on the sidewalk. I guess he had a different type of picture in mind!
He told me we could both make a lot of money with these type of photographs.
Thankfully I was able to quickly convince him to pull his pants up and finish the
portrait shot. So to make the story short, I ended up getting a tour of the
neighborhood, buying him lunch and sending him a nice portrait (fully clothed).
So, any opinions? Was I wrong to take his photo unknowingly at first from the hip
so to say. Although it ended up being more humorous, it could have been an
important shot in an serious story on a down and out homeless man.

Regards
Jim Hurtubise