Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] sneak thief photographers!
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:54:52 -0600

Thursday, Thursday, December 03, 1998, Michael Garmisa wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong but it was my understanding that in the USA
> photographers do not need to obtain a photo release unless the picture is
> used for commercial purposes and that newspapers did not fall into this
> catagory.

Michael,

For  the most part editorial uses are ok with out model releases. I do
know that for my book I got a model release on every shot. Better safe
than sorry. Not one person had any qualms about signing the releases.

Generally  if it occurs on, or can be seen and photographed from public
property,  with a "normal" lens, it is fair game. Also, unless the law
has  changed  recently,  if you are on the scene of a "news" event and
making photographs and the police have given you access you can shoot;
however,  if the owner of the property asks you to leave you must then
leave  and quit shooting on premisis or open yourself up to a possible
law suit. What you shot up till asked to leave is ok.

Funny  to  me,  but the case that set this precedent involved a friend
and  former  boss of mine. I was at his house last year and he had the
new  Ken  Kobre  PJ  book on his desk and I asked him what he had that
for.  That  is  when  he  told  me  about the story, and I said "Man I
studied about you in college!"

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.