Subject: [Leica] Re: Request for Advice
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 13:03:21 +0900

Bill,

I would agree with all those recommending a used 70's-era fixed-lens
rangefinder.  Focusing is easy, most have in-lens leaf shutters so
film loading does not put the shutter curtains at risk, and many have
aperture-preferred exposure giving him some control but offering easy
lazier options as well (set it to f16 outdoors, 2.8 indoors and click
away). They feel like substantial, "real" cameras inspiring respect
and care without representing a large investment on your part.  Most
importantly, there are enough things to adjust and set to keep a
mech-crazed young one happy, but not so much that he'd be constantly
wondering why the shutter didn't fire again.

When I was ten years old I somehow convinced my parents to let me
borrow dad's seldom-used Zeiss-Ikon Contax II-A.  Mom showed me how to
focus, use the light meter and set the exposure.  I can still remember
how easy it seemed to focus, and I've been hooked on rangefinders ever
since.  I used the camera on and off through high school, but left it
behind when I was told I would have to pay for the next (third or
fourth?) rangefinder/shutter adjustment.  Disassembled the body in
college in one of those StarTrek "Bones operates on Spock's brain"
espisodes (you start out sure, fast and smooth, thinking it's all so
obvious a child could do it; near the end you're elbow deep in
impossibly tiny screws, springs and retaining clips realizing no human
being could ever put it back together) and junked the pieces, but
somehow held on to the Sonnar 50/2.0 lens "just in case."

"Just in case" arrived about 20yrs later, as I recently found a Contax
rangefinder/Leica-screw mount adapter in Osaka, which combined with an
L-M adapter lets me use dad's lens on my M6 and M4-2.  There's
something comforting about being able to use this glass long after dad
has departed.

If the timing is right and the constellations properly oriented, you
could be starting him down a path of immense satisfaction, creativity
and perpetually underfed piggy banks!

Good luck,

PB

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 22:13:22 -0800, "William H. Cassing"
<wcassing@elkgrove.net> wrote:

>I would appreciate some advice regarding a gift for an eight year old
>grandson.
>
>He has demonstrated an unusual (for his age) interest in photography.  In
>particular, he has expressed interest in some of the technical details of
>photography and has shown an affinity for composition.
>
>I would like to get him a camera for Christmas, but am not sure just what to
>get.  I want to get him one that will allow him to take good pictures and
>will provide alternatives to the "too-far-away, smile, Mommy" pictures.  I
>want him to have a 35mm, not APS.  I think he should be able to, at least,
>control the use of flash and, if possible, have some control over depth of
>field.  But, he is still only eight.  I don't know if this is a passing
>phase or the start of a passion that will eventually keep his as broke as I
>am.  Therefore, his first camera should be inexpensive enough that he (and
>I) will not mourn its loss or damage.  I should add that, although I will
>try to spend as much time as possible with him and his camera, I live almost
>300 miles away and do not see him nearly as often as I'd like to.
>
>Any advice or experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp