Subject: [Leica] Re: Contx/LTM adaptor (was Re: Request for Advice)
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 22:39:07 +0900

Hi Mike,

You can get a pretty good introduction to the Contax/Leica-L adaptors
at Stephen Gandy's site (www.cameraquest.com).  None were ever made by
Leica or Contax---they are/were third-party products.  The only ones
currently in production I know of are made by an individual (or very
small company) in Tokyo, and although I read about them in a magazine,
I had never seen one in a shop until I bought mine.  But the shop I
bought it from, where I browse regularly, evidently often has a couple
in stock----I guess I just never noticed them in the showcase.

There is a Contax version as well as a Nikon-S version, and both can
use either internal or external bayonet lenses.  Visually it looks
like the Contax/Nikon focusing helicoid has been "liberated" from a
body, internal/external bayonet intact, and grafted on to a Leica
screwmount.  There are a number of Contax lenses that won't work
(mostly wide angles), as well as a number that the manufacturer has
never tested.  There was nothing in the product information about
Russian lenses.

This looks to be pretty much a small machine shop/labor of love item.
Well finished, fairly smooth, but also possibly more expensive than
buying a used Contax II/III body.  List price is 65,000 yen or so
(US$520).

For the adventurous, I have also seen an Alpa/Leica-L adaptor.  The M6
I saw had a 50/1.9 Macro-Switar mounted, and the owner told me the
lens could be focussed with the rangefinder.  I don't know if they're
still available or how much they might cost.

 Best Regards,

PB

On Fri, 04 Dec 1998 17:10:28 +0100, Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
wrote:

>Paul C. Brodek wrote:
>
>> I recently found a Contax rangefinder/Leica-screw mount adapter in Osaka, which
>> combined with an L-M adapter lets me use dad's lens on my M6 and M4-2.
>
>Is this a Leitz product? If so, what's the code? How much might one cost? I
>presume it's for the internal bayonet - was one made for the external bayonet
>too?
>
>I'm in the habit of buying Soviet Kiev R/F - fit lenses, and would dearly like to
>use them on my M6 too - lack of frames in the finder have played havoc with my
>composition.

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp