Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL - Image Behind Focus Point
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 21:14:52 -0600 (CST)

Hi, Mike/others,
It's this very lack of quality control that I've been bitching
about since the late seventies.  Probably HALF of the g**D*mn
cameras come out of the factory (canada/wetzlar/solms - don't
make a shit) OUT OF FINAL ADJUSTMENT>.....To add insult to
(expensive) injury, on the M4P/M6 they removed the F***ING
external adjustment and GLUED the RFDR telescope - you guessed
it-  OUT OF ADJUSTMENT --a real pain in the ass for the (preferably
non-Leica) repairman.  When I worked in repair 18 or so years
back, my employer/teacher used to joke that they were "kit cameras"
that were O.K> once we "finished" them.  I've owned M3-M6, inclusive,
and the problem became evident about the end of the M4-2 era.
I know this group of buy-any-shit-with-Leica-on-it apologists will
continue to sing praises like a snake handling fundamentalist at a
revival, but NO, you shouldn't have to go through this on a
$1900 purchase, time after time after time.  PLEASE, somebody come
out with a manual, RFDR, competitor and tear up Leica the way
Nikon did 40 years ago.......

Like trying to get a doctor to turn on a fellow quack.....oops,
forgot, we already went down that road...........sorry........

Good luck with your "new" camera, but PLEASE try to learn how to
check the RFDR vertical and infinity IN THE STORE before accepting
it.  Try to find a repairman to show you how to check focus
with a tiny ground-glass and loupe.....Put the camera on a tripod,
preferably with a 75 summilux or 90 Summicron, wide open, and
check the focus at inf, min focus distance, and about 10 feet.
This will verify that all three RFDR adjustments are correct
(including the one that half the damn repairmen don't know about!)
If the store won't let you do this, demand a refund on your
original purchase, and write Leica describing your plight....
OH, and PLEASE post your results in graphic detail here for
the rest of us.

Thanks for the space,
Walt

On