Subject: [Leica] Wrist Straps
From: "William H. Cassing" <wcassing@elkgrove.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 22:28:06 -0800

Since I posted my questions, and especially after reading some of the

1.  I'm still not sure whether the 14406 strap is attached to the case or
attached to the camera (maybe through an opening in the case).  I have seen
a lot of "matched" items which are matched only in that they are made from
the same material or finished the same.  Can the 14406 be used without the
case?  If it attaches to the camera, does it attach to the strap lugs,
tripod socket or ??

2.  I can foresee problems with after market wrist straps that attach to one
lug.  First of all, they would double the stress on that one lug.  I have
also been advised by a Leica collector that if I want to preserve the
[potential] collectors value of a Leica, I should make sure that there is no
undue wear inside the lug.  In retrospect, I can understand why the Leica
strap uses a single smooth unbroken ring.  Even the finest split ring can
scratch the lug when it is installed.

3.  The wrist strap which goes from a lug to the tripod socket appears to be
the same design as the grip strap I used to have for my Canon A2e.  I didn't
like it because the camera would not balance on the small; the head is less
than one inch in diameter.  The camera was hard enough to balance on its
base with anything longer than the shortest and lightest (read cheapest!)
zoom.  I am afraid I would have the same problem with a similar strap on the
Leica.

4.  I am in the process of "building" a system, using a Tamrac neck strap
with nylon side release buckles, that could be used as a neck strap or, by
replacing the "neck" portion with a shorter, thinner strap, could be used as
a wrist strap.  The only problem I foresee is the need to bind the two short
straps (attached to the camera) together to allow the camera to hang
properly and maintain distribution of weight on both lugs when using the
wrist strap and allow the camera to hang normally when using the next strap.

I appreciate the comments I've heard so far.  I'll keep you posted as to my
progress.

Bill Cassing