Subject: [Leica] Accessories for photobug
From: Ron & Beelian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 15:08:59 -0800

Hello friends,

I am in the buying mode and would like some suggestions and feedback on
the following items (they'd make great stocking stuffers!!):-D

1) I need a high quality loupe and considering two tiers of expenses:
<$100 and <$200.  My eyes fatigue easily and images viewed through my
cheap $10 loupe are only clear in the center. Where do I begin or how do
I choose from the many offerings?  What features do I want to include in
my search if I'm using the loupe for viewing 35mm slides, negatives,
prints? What other applications do loupes have?  What is groundglass
viewing? eye-point? skirts? adjustable focus?  Achromatic, light
gathering and eye relief loupes? What about scale and anastigmatic
loupes? A loupe with a bigger magnification number means a larger image
but is that necessarily better? Does aspherical offer better detail? Do
these fancy features justify their high prices? Suggestions on best
value for the money?

2) Suggestions for an evenly distributed bright light, lightweight and
portable lightbox for viewing 35mm negs or slides?  Possibility of
adding medium format much later on.

3), a compact photo bag for city touring. I have narrowed it down to
Billingham's Alice and Hadley, and Domke's F6 and Camera Satchel.
Weights are about the same. Capacity varies slightly. Any comments, pros
and cons from experiences? Durability? Lasting finish?  Any trouble with
equipment staying in place? I'll be carrying an M6, 35mm f2 lens, light
meter, at least 10 rolls of film, cleaning items, filters and
notepad/batteries. On a heavier day, I'll add a table tripod, an SLR
with 55mm and maybe 135mm lens.

4) a self-timer for the M6. Anyone tried the Universal ($20) or Hama
($40) brand in the B&H catalog? Which is better or are both cheap
plastics?

5) a print trimmer/cutter. Requiring sharp clean and accurate cuts. Pro
and cons on the Boston Trimmer (arm blade / grid wood base), Rotatrim
Mastercut, Rotatrim's Technical series and Rotatrim's Monorail 26? Other
brand suggestions?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I apologize for asking these
questions if they have been discussed before however I have been away
from the LUG for some time now and have missed those postings.

Many thanks friends!
Bee Lian