Subject: [Leica] M6TTL RF Alignment/PassPort Warranty - No Fault
From: Mike Austin <maustin@uswnvg.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:45:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

So considering that the camera came with the Passport Warranty - No Fault, does
it matter who or what made the RF out of alignment?  From what I see, the RF
can be adjusted and made right again.  So, with this warranty, make it so.  So,
if it is out of alignment, wouldnt you think that the technician will check
everything that makes an RF align?

To me the vertical alignment and infinite focus were off.  The pictures taken
seemed to me a bit soft.  Now, I do have the loaner M6.  To my eye, it looks
right.  My prints look right.  My eye is happy.  This RF on this M6 looks
right, and makes my prints look right when it comes to the DOF.  I can see the
1/3 and 2/3 of focus in front and back.  I dont have the nagging feeling that
it might be right or it might not be right.  It just looks right, now.  Im
seeing the Leica Legend with this loaner M6.  And this was the same 50mm lens
that I used with my M6TTL.

So, I might just have to take one of the Luggers advise and take the older M6.
Wait a few years for the M6TTL to mature...haha

Still, I will take the comments about QC to the Pres.  Which reminds me, I need
to call and find out what time the pres will be there.  From what I can tell
from Walt's comments about the RF adjustments, it is possible to get this M6TTL
back from wherever its going.  Im thinking its a bumm M6TTL to begin with.  Im
sure there is another out there that is as good as this loaner M6.

So regardless of how it got out of alignment, it is possible to align the RF.
Or, there are adjustments (with an 's') to handle the vertical, infinity, and
near-focus to "try" to align the RF (short of the body being twisted) to what
the RF should be.  In other words, theres enough adjustment there to handle the
most hard "use" mis-adjustments.  "Hard use"...say like to handle a motorcycle
trip up to Alaska in a BMW hard bag or top case stuffed in between clothes and
camping/"survival" gear?  And to various parts of the world on a motorcycle?

Thanks.