Subject: RE: [Leica] Intimacy with long lenses....
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 20:43:39 -0600

BD,

This is one reason it is so hard to edit your own film. When one has gone
to great lengths to make a particular photo, then you think it is a great
shot, when the better one is actually the one where you simply stood
there and made the photo with little relative effort.

I have been in this situation and I know from personal experience how
hard it is to admit to yourself the reality of which is the better image.
 The viewer doesn't care that you had to run 3 miles, climb a tree ect to
make the photo, all they see is what is on the film.

And what is on the film is what should enter your mind when editing the
film.  Period.

B. D. Colen wrote

>One of my complaints about many street photographs and photo journalism
>projects is precisely the above: the photographer often presents us with
>"dead" images incorrectly assuming that we can smell, hear, feel, etc., what
>he did when he took the photo.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
new book at http://www.volmania.com