Subject: [Leica] If it ain't broke, why fix it?
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:39:28 -0000

Ted Grant wrote:

>One thought on this CLA business that I haven't noticed and that is
>something that applies to many things man made: Including Leicas of
all
>makes.

>"If it ain't broke! Why fix it?"

That's the philosophy which the aerospace industry now uses. Jet
engines used to be stripped down and "CLA'd" at regular intervals, but
as they become more reliable, the point was reached where assembly
errors in post-stripdown rebuilds became a significant cause of
subsequent problems. So today's engines are left on the wing for as
long as they keep "turning and burning".

The fact that my M6 returned from Leica last week with the original
fault fixed and another (very minor) added makes me wonder about the
wisdom of sending fault-free cameras off for CLA.

Regards,

Doug Richardson