Subject: [Leica] Still vs Motion
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 19:37:41 +0000

along the lines of what Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org> did:

>While still photographs do represent a moment, o.k., a decisive moment,
>they can still express motion and time.  I often look at photographs
>and imagine how they express events before and after the actual shutter
>trip.

Yes, obviously. That's not my point, though! I was replying to
another LUGger who implied that still photography *generally* had
greater "visual and emotional impact* than film. My point was and
is that still photography *and* film can be done poorly or
superlatively, and that the best films *equal* the best still
photos in "visual and emotional impact*.

It's an opinion. I doubt that my fellow LUGgers will change my opinion,
and I'm certain that many won't share it. That's fine.

>Also, my photographs are often blurred, albeit with great bokeh,
>because an instant of sharp focus does not tell the story I want to
>capture.  This may be heretical on the LUG, but I believe that a nice
>blurry picture sometimes tells the story better than that mica-crisp
>shot at the highest shutter speed.

I agree, and I can't wait to get my photos of street gymnasts and
rock climbers onto photo CD so that I can share them with you all...

Best regards,
Alexey
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com