Subject: [Leica] Internal lens coatings.....
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 8:48:04 -0500

>Why I speak of the front and rear outside surfaces and coating, is
because
>I have a Leica document (it's here somewhere) that said that when they
>developed some of their special glass, they did not coat the internal
lens
>surfaces, they only coated the external (front and rear) surfaces. They
>said that the glass had such high transmittance, that no coating would
help.

>This is in a fairly old document, and I cannot, at this very moment,
come
>up with it. But I know it's here in my library and would be happy to
send
>along the reference when I do come across it again.
>
>Jim

The key words in the above paragraph are "some of their special glass".

If you want to know whether the lens elements in your favorite lens or
coated or not.....hold it under a bright light and move it slowly from
side to side..... anytime you see a white reflection you'll know you have
a uncoated surface in your lens.  Supposedly you can tell the thickness
of the coating etc. by the color of it etc..... but I've long forgotten
that rather useless piece of information.

My 35 and 50 Summicrons appear to have two uncoated surfaces (the two
uncoated surfaces are on different elements in each case, that is to say
that one side of the element is coated and the other is not).    There
might be one uncoated surface in the 90.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador