Subject: Re: [Leica] Another question on 70-180 and 80-200
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 21:42:22 -0600

>I was going on the premise that Leica would be at least as
>user-friendly as Nikon, of whose 3 different 1.4x multipliers at least
>one can be bought to match almost any of their lenses.

Leica isn't as willing to compromise in reduction of optical quality as
Nikon for one. Nikon makes great converters, but the 1.4 converter by Leica
is designed for the 280 2.8 Apo Telyt. That it works on other lenses at all
is a lucky thing. And even the 180 f/2 they advise you to stop down 1 stop
because the converter isn't designed to work with f/2 lenses.

Their 2x converters seem to be more universal.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken
seriously. Hubert Humphrey