Subject: Re: [Leica] No more PMK 25 - Now Kodachrome II
From: "John McLeod" <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:26:46 +0000

I'll jump in here with a little blatant oversimplification, generalization,
and unscientific bias, with gusto however.  Forgive me Erwin.

I agree with you Tim.  My old Kodachrome 25 (and even 64) slides are still
my favorites.  Rich, natural, and deep color.  New Kodachrome still looks
natural to my eye, but not as deep or rich, especially the 25.  Now here
comes the real opinionated, blatant oversimplification.  I also think many
slide films today are essentially unnatural, verging on ugly and garish.
While it isn't always the case I'll admit, Elite 100, E100S and SW, and
Velvia can all distort color in a way I find unnatural and unappealing.
Astia is better.

And another thing  ;-)   Hearkening back to Erwin's comments from a few
months ago about the benefits of using Kodachrome with Leica glass.  I agree
here also.  Not that one shouldn't use whatever one wants or likes.  But as
some of you know, I had a couple of R6's which I always loved, but I got
tempted to buy a Nikon F5 to experience all the bells and whistles -- plus I
used to use Nikkormats and F2's.  The Nikon lenses seemed quite sharp and
all.  I used up a lot of slide film and all seemed well, but I didn't care
much for the color cast of a lot of it.  Most of this was due to the films
themselves since they looked a little garish with my Leica lenses too.  But
when I put Kodachrome in the Nikon, the slides had a harsh, overly contrasty
look to them.  With the Leicas (M or R) the Kodachrome came out with a long,
natural tonality.  For example, Leica shots of my yellow lab on an overcast
day showed him with his natural yellow fur and brown eyes.  The same
Kodachrome slides with the Nikon turned his coat lighter and his eyes
darker.  No matter what the conditions were, the Kodachrome film had the
ability to reveal qualities in the Nikon glass that looked less real to me,
whereas the Leica lenses exhibited a natural look, with nice even tonal
gradation -- more like things appear in the "real" world.  This is the only
reason I sold the F5 and bought an R8.  Still can't afford those Leica
lenses though  ;-)

Homer Simpson with 'tude (aka John McLeod)