Subject: Re: [Leica] Another question on 70-180 and 80-200
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:04:07 -0400

At 10:20 PM 12/11/98, inyoung@jps.net wrote:

David:

I have the 105-280 lens.  I just got it a few weeks ago.  It is large and
pretty heavy.  Optically it works very well.  It is supposed to be lust
under APO quality.  A lesser manufacturer would probably call it an APO
lens.  It was derived from the 70-180 and is a bit longer and a bit
heavier.  You would be hard pushed to hand hold this lens in the 280 range
and get sharp pictures.

I have used it for scenics on a tripod and a few bird pictures with the gun
stock.  It seems to perform fine.  In the scenic shots, I had it tripod
mounted and shot the same scene with the new 80-200 as well.  My quick
impressions is that it performs better than the 80-200.  The 80-200 tests
very well, so Leica's claims that it matches the quality of prime lenses
and is near APO quality is probably correct.  It will mate with both the
1.4x and 2x extenders.  I have not tried it yet this way.

Regards,

Robert Stevens

Regards,

Robert