Subject: Re: [Leica] Light tables
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:35:38 -0800

John McLeod wrote:

> Gib -
>
> I looked pretty carefully at the Just and the Kaiser and went with the
> Kaiser.  Very nicely made, with bright, even illumination.  Brighter than
> the Just.

In theory, at least, all the boxes should be the same, a brightness
determined as a standard for judging by printer/separators.  And this
should be measureable with a lightmeter.  A box too bright will have you
choosing slides too dark for good reproduction.  A box too dark will
have you choosing slides that have highlights washed out in
reproduction.

Similarily, when you go into the lab to check on clip/snip tests, make
sure you are wearing darkglasses on the way or give your eyes time to
adjust to the lowered light levels inside before judging and running
balances.  Voice, here, of experience!

Of course, not all of us are forced to work in bright sunshine and warm
T-shirt weather in December.

You might take your light meter to lab and measure their lightbox
illumination level then check that against the boxes you are considering
at the photo store.

You also might call Calumet 800-CALUMET and get catalogue and check with
them about the illumination and color standards.  Usually get
knowledgeable people on the line there.  In fact, it is about the only
vendor that has sales staff that actually know more about the equipment
I am asking about than I do.  Usually I feel like I am educating them.
But that is another post.....

donal
- --
Donal Philby