Subject: Re: [Leica] How often CLA
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 15:08:43 -0800

Robert G. Stevens wrote:

> Tina:
>
> I have found that the overhead compartments of Air Planes have too much
> vibration for cameras.

Very true.  When I recently returned from Oklahoma, the strobe gear had
most of the trouble.  Despite Tenba, Pelican, and Halliburton cases and
lots of foam, the modeling lights almost always unscrew, sometimes the
flashtubes fall out, the the circuit cards in the Balcar packs often
fall out.  And these are units MADE for traveling!  Even the bracket
holding the fiberoptic pad on the 35mm polaroid back came completely
loose.  Both the Pentax 67 and Nikon 105 micro lenses had to go to the
shop to get focus rng tightened up.

It would be interesting to know if repair people would suggest using a
weak LokTite compound in reassembling cameras the travel on airplanes a
lot.  I always carry the micro scewdriver kit for daily tightening.
Outboard motors on boats are similar in vibration and have similar
effect.

But sailboats don't cause these problems.  Which I guess leads to the
conclusion that I should always travel by sailboat!!

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego