Subject: [Leica] (fwd) Leica lenses made by Kyocera Japan?
From: chaconne@my-dejanews.com
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 08:44:24 GMT

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:26:31 GMT, in rec.photo.equipment.35mm
bachchaconne@my-dejanews.com wrote:

Some PhD keeps making this claim in a medium-format group.  Can
Leicaphiles
confirm or disprove?

Andrew.

On Wed, 09 Dec 1998 19:12:35 GMT, in rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
see.signature@bottom.com (gary gaugler) wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Dec 1998 16:44:15 GMT, bachchaconne@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:28:37 GMT, see.signature@bottom.com (gary
>>gaugler) wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 04:35:04 +0100, "WEILL" <frpawe@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>And a motor winder for another $500?  Not to mention that the Leica
>>>lenses cost about 3 times more than Contax Zeiss lenses....and they
>>>both come from the same factory.
>>
>>Leica lenses are made in Solms, Germany while Contax/Zeiss lenses are
>>primarily made in Japan by Kyocera.  Nowadays Zeiss does not make
>>anything (not even Hologon) for Leica or vice versa.
>>
>>Andrew.
>>

>>(To reply, remove "bach" from address.)
>

>According to my visit, Leica lenses are made in the same factory in
>Japan by Kyocera as are the Zeiss lenses for Contax.  The 300/4 Contax
>is still made in Germany.  Probably some of the Leica lenses are as
>well.  But the bulk of production is from Japan it seems.  Maybe this
>has changed for Leica lenses since I was last updated.
>
>Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.

On Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:20:50 GMT, in rec.photo.equipment.medium-format