Subject: Re: [Leica] (fwd) Leica lenses made by Kyocera Japan?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 11:01:27 -0500

<sigh>  We go over this, time and time again, to no avail.

A few of the Leica R lenses and most of the Contax SLR and G lenses are
made at the former Tominon facility in Kyoto by Kyocera.  The production
lines are, I believe, intermixed, though I understand that the final
testing is separate.  Each lens is inspected by employees of the company
responsible for the lens -- Zeiss inspects the Contax SLR and G lenses,
Leica inspects the R lenses.

Most Leica lenses are now made at Solms, though a few are still made at the
old Ernst Leitz Midland facility in Canada, now owned, I believe, by
Raytheon.  Leica has never made lenses in Portugal.

Zeiss manufactures the extreme wide-angle and specialty Contax SLR and G
lenses at Oberkochen.  Yes, the 8/16 G Hologon is "out of production", but
understand what this means:  Zeiss makes its lenses in batches, and it
simply is between batches at the moment.  As soon as it sells off enough of
the on-hand stock to justify it, production will be resumed for another batch.

And that, my hearties, is the News from Lake Wobegon!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!