Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Leica] R250mm f/4 History]
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:49:48 -0800

Jim Nelon wrote:

>Can someone update me on the 250 f/4? Leica doesn't list the lens in its
>current catalog. I think the lens was discontinued a few years ago. Can
>anyone tell me when? And why? TIA.>>>>>>>>>

Hi Jim,

I believe the lens was discontinued about 1984 or so. The introduction of
the 280mm 2.8 probably was the reason for dropping the production.

I used one for quite sometime and it was a great lens, but as soon as I
could get my hands on a faster and better lens (280) I did.  Even though
the 250 f4 was a fine lens, the 280 was and is better. More important?
Faster for those of us who work with fast glass.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant